A new year rolls around and we enthusiastically make a list of resolutions as long as our arm, that we are adamant we will be sticking to this time around. January 17th comes, the resolutions are out the window, you haven’t even achieved one. You’re overwhelmed and desperately disappointed that once again you’ve broken your commitments. “Why do I do this every single time?” you ask yourself. Frustrating isn’t it? You look around and it seems everyone else is making progress, why can’t you? What are the secrets to these seemingly productive people? Well, either they are really good actors or they have a plan in place that means they are destined to succeed!
I’ve put together some of my top tips to help you make a solid impact and direct your energy to the right place in 2017!
- Set goals on things that are challenging but you can achieve in a real world, not what you would like to be or do if things were different.
- Set goals that you find exciting and imagine the feeling you will have once you achieve it. Visualise yourself already there.
- Set goals that reflect your true values. They must be authentic to you. It’s no good setting a goal to “live more sustainably” say, if you have absolutely no interest or value in doing so.
- Once you have set your goals, make deliberate choices that are a stepping stone to getting closer to reaching your goals. Map out a step by step plan of what you need to do to reach the goal and give a definite timeline of when each step is to be achieved by.
- Write down your goals or create a visual diary or vision board displaying what it is you would like to achieve. Review this visual each and every morning to remind yourself of where you want to be.
- Celebrate each effort that you make that leads you closer to your goals, no matter how small the step you have taken. Fuel your fire! This will keep you motivated and enthusiastic.
- Bring your finest energy to making your goals a reality. Consciously decide what is important and bring your whole self to reaching your goals.
- Be aware and mindful of destructive behaviour. So many of us self-sabotage our success by operating on auto-pilot and allowing our subconscious to take control. Feel the fear and do it anyway as Susan Jeffers says.
- Don’t multi-task. It’s a myth that we can multi-task, we just can’t. So focus on one thing at a time and give it your all. Don’t allow your attention to divert.
- Once you reach your goal, ensure you keep the habit up for at least 100 days. This will help to ensure that it will become locked in as an intention for life, not just a five minute wonder.
- And lastly, progress over perfection! Let go of the perfectionism that may be going on. Every one of us has a bad day at times, where things go a little haywire. Shake it off and get back into it. One bad thing doesn’t make a bad life, so keep going on what you set out to do and forgive yourself for any little “acts of life” that happen sometimes.
Make 2017 your year to shine! You can do this, believe in yourself.
Feel like you might need help to get through, then pop through an email to email@example.com. I’m here to get right behind you!